Sunday, January 23, 2011

Liam is growing up...

He lost his first tooth right after Christmas in true Liam style: eating an apple while reading a book. He swallowed the tooth without noticing anything... We had to write a note to the tooth fairy that he had lost the tooth and would be more careful next time. It's a good thing that Liam has a good relationship with fairies, because the tooth fairy was OK with the note and left two chocolate coins under his pillow (lucky kid!!). Now the new teeth are coming in and pushing the next tooth out. I guess we'll be playing tooth roulette for the next couple of years... And when I saw how loose the tooth is I decided I needed to get going and finally sew him that tooth fairy pillow that I have been talking about. :) I guess I know what I'll be doing tonight.

Another indication that he's growing up is that we are now dealing with the first fad at school. We're a bit slow and I know that it's so yesterday for many kids and adults, but it's still cool on Liam's playground: Silly bandz. He's out to the toystore right now to buy some with his dad. Apparently they have been the thing for quite some time - he even got one as a present one day and then lost it in the bottom of his backpack. Of course it meant absolutely nothing to me when he came home talking about the silly bandz in the bottom of his backpack... But now I understand - finally. And I really understand the importance. You need them to show, talk about, trade, covet, give away as a present. In short, they are the social currency on the Kindergarten playground. Mark suggested I sew a pouch for them, but I remember how important the details are on the playground, so I asked Liam what the other kids keep their Silly Bandz in. Boxes. Silly bandz are either around your wrist or in boxes. Not pouches. So I told Mark to get a box, too. I assume they sell them at the toystore. These things are usually sold together. (Clever marketing people!).

So, my toothless, growing Liam is getting Silly Bandz that will one day be smiled about like slinky bracelets, scented pencils or whatever it was we really needed to be part of things in school.

But for now they are far away from being a nostalgic memory: they are important and cool.

No comments: